It is Pumpkin Season! They are abundant, local and fresh. So why not take advantage?
Here is a quick and simple Pumpkin-Chia Smoothie recipe that can be made without dairy. You could also use half Coconut Kefir and half coconut milk. Or half Raw milk Kefir and half raw milk if it is available to you. Kefir will add Probiotics to the the smoothie making it easier to digest and flooding your gut with beneficial flora. Probiotics are vital for immune function and digestion.
Chia Seeds are the 'small giant' of seeds! They are a powerhouse of nutrients and a super food loaded with Calcium, Iron, Magnesium and fiber. They absorb a lot of water and create a gel-like consistency that is sure to satisfy hunger. I enjoy putting these in smoothies to create a thicker consistency. They have a mild, versatile nutty flavor that goes well with many dishes.
*Be sure to add the Chia seeds AFTER you blend the smoothie unless you have a high-speed blender such as Vitamix*
- 3/4 - 1 cup sweetened Homemade Coconut Milk
- 3 TBS Fresh Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Raw Egg Yolk (from Pasture raised, soy-free chickens) *OPTIONAL*
- 1/2 Tsp Chia Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice OR
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 Tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/2 Tsp Maca Powder
- 1 Frozen Banana
- 2 small cubes of Ice
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- In a blender, add Coconut Milk (If you want a thicker smoothie, only use 3/4cup of milk),
- OR 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup coconut kefir OR 1/2 cup raw milk kefir, 1/2 raw milk if available to you
- Add Pumpkin Puree, raw egg yolk, Spices, maca powder, sea salt and blend well.
- Add frozen banana, ice and blend until you achieve a smooth consistency and serve.
- Add Chia seeds and blend in with a spoon, let it sit for a couple of minutes and enjoy. (If you have a high speed blender, simply add to the mixture and blend)
ENJOY and feel free to add anything you love to make it your own.
~Blessings to All~