I use Coconut milk for many of my recipes and as a base for smoothies. Most packaged store brand Coconut Milk contains preservatives and additives such as carrageenan. Frankly, it is easy to make so why not save a few bucks and make my own at home?
So, how do you make homemade Coconut Milk? It is easy and only requires two ingredients. You can make this out of fresh or dried coconut meat
The recipe below is a good base for desserts such as my No Crust Pumpkin Pie! The milk is thicker and more concentrated. If you want to use the milk for smoothies, double the amount of water in the recipe.
Simple Homemade Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Raw, Organic Coconut Chips - Make sure they are Free of Sulfate and Hexane. We purchase them in bulk. They are great for shredding to add to desserts, for trail mix, and to make milk. I prefer the 'Nutiva' brand of Coconut Chips.
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of Spring or Reverse Osmosis Water
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 tsp Organic Cinnamon
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 tsp Organic Raw Honey
- Soak the Coconut Chips in 1 cup of water for 2hrs or longer.
- In a high-speed blender, add coconut chips first, break them down as much as possible and slowly add water. Blend on a low setting until pieces have been dissolved. I personally like my milk to be thick and only add about 2 cups of water. You can add another 1/2-1 cup if you would like to stretch it.
- Strain the milk using a cheesecloth, nut milk bag or fine strainer.
- Optional: Add Cinnamon and Honey or any other spices you would like. I love to add 1/2 tsp of Lucuma powder!
Serve and enjoy a Dairy, Soy and Grain-free Milk! Simple, economic and delicious!
~Blessings to All~